A few years ago we decided to buy leather sofas against everything we ever said about them. We’d had them before and remember how cold and slippery they were. We thought with the dogs it would be an easier, cleaner option. That turned out to be at the expense of our actual comfort. After 4 years John decided he wanted sofas he could actually be comfortable in. Off we went on what I thought was going to be another looooong round of trying out every sofa available in Dorset. John has very, very long legs and the seat has to be a bit higher and deeper than normal. I suggested we went to a smallish local store where we had been lucky in the past with buying things for the house. Still many sitting downs later I found a sofa in an area he hadn’t considered looking in (they had legs rather than to the floor) and actually found a sofa that he was happy and comfortable with so we chose complimentary if different fabrics for them and ordered. The (not so) old sofas have been donated to a local charity who helps families in need so I hope they will be enjoyed.
They are light silver blue and certainly lighten the room up. The orphan Stressless footstool I kept after getting rid of a chair had been covered in tweeds which matched the then brown leather sofas. They had been a bit tidier than the actual leather of the footstool. This now didn’t match so I came up with a cunning plan! I have many sample books of furnishing weight fabrics and found some in the silvers and grey blues that would match the sofas, cut them into rectangles and laid them out on a backing fabric of a piece of old curtain.
Most of the fabric was from a gorgeous range called Glendale by Voyage Maison in a lovely cotton viscose mix which is lovely and soft to the touch. I zigzagged all the pieces down to the background and then re covered the footstool. I think it matches really well!
So that’s another patched together piece done.
I’ve just placed some other pieces on a base to eventually use as a cover for a little book type case for my fine crochet hooks. I will be using some nice silk hand dyed thread by Clare Bullock as I like the green tones.
The fabrics are all my own printed or dyed/stained and from the scrappy bag. Now look at how gorgeous and clear these eco print pieces are.
They have one snag. When I first started my C&G 13 years ago we gathered together many types of cottons and linens to dye and print with to see how different they could be. One lot of fabric I had was pillowcase cotton. This turned out to dye the brightest and took prints, including eco ones like above, better than any other. It’s just that it was pillow cotton. Feather proof pillow cotton. Getting a hand needle through it is tough work as it’s designed to keep all those tiny feather quills in. It machines noisily but at least I can use it for that. I have a fair amount of it mixed in with other stuff in my scrappy bags and I keep coming across it, often after it’s a part of a project and I find I can’t stitch it properly! I’m slowly finding them out, testing with a needle and putting them together in a bag marked for machining only. I will learn!
We had some very sad news last week when I found some of our bats on the drive under one of the bat boxes. At first I found 6, then a couple more and in the end 18 were sent off for testing, mostly mothers with pups. There are many rules in place regarding bats here in the UK. You need a licence to handle them and another licence to build anywhere where they have a roost. You need to put gloves on to pick up dead ones. Bats, as well as carrying diseases like rabies (thankfully not often here) are an indicator species and are closely monitored and we had to take them to the local bat rescue people for them to be sent off to the Animal and Plant Health Agency in bulk. If you find a single one you can be sent the correct equipment to send it into them here. Did you know the biggest problem bats have is cats?!
Anyway they were quick to come back to us that they were long eared bats and they believe it was heat exhaustion from the couple of very hot days we had at that time. It was just super sad that the timing was when the pups were there too and it got the whole family group.
I can’t tell you how upset I was as we do like seeing them in the garden, we still have many more, just not the family in this one particular box. It’s even more sad when you read these facts: –
Reproduction & life cycle
Mating takes place in the autumn and active males will continue
to seek out and mate with females throughout the winter.
Maternity colonies are established in late spring, with one young
born around late June to mid-July, and then weaned at 6 weeks.
Colony size is between 10 to 20 bats (up to 50), and each brown
long-eared can live for up to 30 years.
On a happier note, Gwyn is learning about morning yoga. The struggle is real!
Have a great weekend.