Well the weather has been spectacular at last! Summer arrived. What a strange year. I have peonies totally over and some just coming into tight bud. The same with the roses. You can almost hear the plants wondering if it’s safe to get on with things now!
Lots of time has been spent in the garden trying to revamp some areas and make them future proof. My plan is to turn overrun beds of annuals and perennials into almost selfcare shrubberies. I’ve had lots of fun sourcing good sized plants and trying to stuff them all in the car. This bed has been the first totally cleared of waist high, invasive aster, totally dug over, fed, replanted and mulched over the weed suppressant in the much needed rain we have had the past two days.
These two beds could be next!
John’s beautiful rhubarb has been totally swamped and needs some room. We are lucky that aster, dock, nettle and mint are the worst of our thugs. There is ground elder a couple of doors down and that would be so much worse.
I have used quiet a few leaves to make some botanical contact prints this week. I’m not sure if it’s the newness of the leaves or a new batch of alum but everything came out bright yellow this year.
Totally not my cup of tea! I had to sadden the lot of it with some iron.
That made everything on the paper pop out!! The fabrics ended up a little dull but they can still go in the useful pile.
I will do another batch later in the year with more mature leaves and perhaps not the alum.
The solar dyeing came off the windowsill.
Once I had recovered from the smell (!!!) They were washed and hung on the line and looked great!
All nicely ironed and ready for something too. As always the silks came out fabulously.
I went through all the pieces I had made for the spring wreath and put them on one of the Reindeer moss wreath bases I had. First I discovered that the wreaths were small enough to not need so many pieces as were made in the pattern and also that Reindeer moss falls to pieces all over the place and is an absolute mess. I ordered up some vine wreaths instead and I’m much happier with the result! I now just have to check to see what I have made so far of the other seasons.
I’ve been adding some more quick sketches to an old, falling apart book ready for including in something. It’s a nice thing for doing while having a quick coffee in the garden.
The Biblical Brood has been growing too. Two Mary’s, Joseph’s and Jesus’ and the mangers are almost done. At least there would be something for December should these go on the back burner as too many of my things seem to be doing lately!
Other than that there has been an awful lot of golf as the summer competitions have been shoehorned into a short season and catching up from last year. Thankfully I’m now out of quite a few of them! I’ve been finding it hard going and the high pollen triggered something in the immune system with my joints swelling so much my fingers couldn’t bend let alone touch my palms. Every joint has been affected but large doses of antihistamine and pain relief is helping. At least I can use my hands properly again now!
I hope you are having good weather and enjoying the season too.